Frequently Asked Questions
- What books have you reading & do you have any favorites?
Here's the full reading list which continues to grow. Here are Beth's favorite foreign reads. Mia's list is here.
- Will we read more than one book per country?
Nope, but we will decide as a community which book to read & Beth/Mia will also suggest 5 other books from that country to read if you want to dive in deeper.
- How often will we read a book?
We'll read one book every month
- How do you decide which book to read?
The book club exists to read books from outside of the US to expand our literary knowledge. Beth & Mia select the country & then scour the libraries/Internet to unearth the best 6 books across genres. Community members can also make suggestions. Then, the community votes on which book we’ll read.
- What's the book club's schedule?
- Start reading the book at the beginning of the month & discuss at month's end for 5 days.
- The middle of the month is when we'll vote on which book to read next so you'll have enough time to buy/borrow the book.
- Anytime for other bookish posts & discussions regardless of country.
- Are there requirements for the types of books read?
We stand firm in this regard. All books must:
- Largely occur in the country specified unless the world described is an alternate universe
- Be written by an author born there who has spent a good portion of their life there
- Exist in paperback & ebook available on both Amazon & Kindle at least in the US & hopefully elsewhere
We'll strive to read a variety of genres.
- You include links to buy the books in the US, UK & Canada. Can you include links for my country as well?
Let us know what country you're from & we'll see what we can do.
- My country doesn't sell a particular book on Amazon. What can I do?
Amazon informed us that anyone in any country can purchase a book from any Amazon site. There are some limitations, but this should work well in the majority of cases especially if you own have a Kindle. You can even adjust the currency. For example: Canadians can purchase The Last Wish from the US & the UK Amazon site since they can't purchase it from the Canadian one.
- Who the heck are Beth & Mia?
Beth is the web site/book club admin & Mia is the moderator. Beth & Mia met in Central NJ when they were teenagers. More info is included about them on the About Us page.