Frequently Asked Questions
2. How often will we read a book?
We'll read one book from a different country every month.
3. Am I required to read every book or participate?
Nope. We want the book club to be fun so it's up to you whether you read all or just some of the books. While we also encourage participation in the monthly discussions & in daily posts, that's not required either.
4. How do you decide which books to read?
The book club exists to read books from outside of the US to expand our literary knowledge. Beth & Mia* select the country & then scour the libraries/Internet to unearth the best books across genres. A list of 6 books is compiled as follows every month:
- Beth will suggest 2 books.
- Mia will suggest 2 books.
- We'll use 2 suggestions from community members.
Then, the community votes on which main book we’ll read. If that book doesn't appeal to you, there'll be 5 other books from that country to choose from which you can read instead.
5. How do you decide which book suggestions to use from community members?
- If more than 2 books are suggested, the entire list of suggestions will be entered into a lottery with 2 randomly chosen.
- If fewer than 2 books are suggested, Beth & Mia* will add to the list to ensure a total of 6 books is compiled.
- If more than 1 suggestion is provided by a single member, we will choose the book we feel will work best for the book club
6. Will we read more than one book per country?
The book club will vote on which main book to read. However, if that book doesn't appeal to you, there'll be 5 other books from that country to choose from which you can read instead.
7. Do you read or exclude specific genres?
Nope. We like to read all sorts of genres so every month we try to include a variety of genres. You can see all the different genres if you select "View books by category" in our global reading list.
8. What's the book club's schedule?
- Start reading the book at the beginning of the month & discuss at month's end.
- The middle of the month is when you'll choose which book to read next so you'll have enough time to buy/borrow the book.
- Anytime for other bookish posts & discussions regardless of country.
We stand firm in this regard. All books must:
- Largely occur in the country specified unless the world described is an alternate reality.
- Be written by an author born there who has spent a good portion of their life there.
- Exist in paperback & ebook available on both Amazon & Kindle at least in the US & hopefully elsewhere.
*Bonus FAQ: Who the heck are Beth & Mia?
Beth & Mia are the co-founders of A World Adventure by Book. They met in Central NJ when they were teenagers. Beth is the web site/book club admin & Mia is the book club moderator. More info is included about them on the About Us page.