Last month, we announced we'd be reading a special duo: Palestine in January & Israel in February (see The Two "Countries" We'll Be Reading Next). While we're happily reading our Palestinian book this month, now's the time to put in your Israeli book suggestions for next month if you haven't already done so. (See the specifics re: suggestions towards the end of this post.)
We've already received 4 suggestions from book club members: The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine, Horse Walks into a Bar, To the End of the Land & Someone to Run With. Because we've received so many suggestions already, please note that the suggestions we receive will be entered into a lottery with 2 randomly chosen.
As a side note: If you like to cook or are just curious about Israeli flavors, check out this fantastic cookbook which your library may have since it won the James Beard Book of the Year & Best International Cookbook!
So far, I've adored making:
- The Israeli Salad Martini (yes, an alcoholic drink version with the flavors of an Israeli salad!)
- The zesty & absolutely addictive Israeli Pickles
- A delightfully sweet, sour & smoky sandwich made from the Twice Baked Eggplant
HAVE ANY BOOK SUGGESTIONS?
We want to hear your suggestions for books! Just let us know your Israeli suggestions by Sun., Jan. 14 11PM ET. (That's NYC time. See this converted to your local time below.)
We'll use 2 suggestions from book club members, 2 suggestions from Mia (the book club moderator) & 2 of my suggestions to compile a list of 6 books on which book club members will vote. The most popular book from the list will then be read.
Please note - We're specific in our books, they must:
- Largely occur in the location specified unless the world described is an alternate reality
- Be written by an author born there who has spent a good portion of their life there
- Exist in paperback & ebook available on both Amazon & Kindle at least in the US & hopefully elsewhere